BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Up Until Now....

As many of you know I was born with Pulmonary Stenosis and had surgery to correct the defect in November of 1983. Back then, I guess the best thing to do was remove the valve, so that is what was done. For the past 26 years I have never needed another operation nor have I been on any restrictions. I have been very fortunate. When I moved to Chicago 4 years ago I was able to find a cardiologist that specialized in Congenital Heart Defects and is actually the top in his field. I remember feeling so excited that after 22 years I found a doctor that new of my issues. My first meeting with Dr. Hijazi, he explained that one day I would need a valve replacement and that we would monitor my heart closely. Well that day has come.

On October 1, Dr. Hijazi asked me to come in to be a guinea pig on a MRI. Rush University had a specialist in teaching the techs about cardiac MRIs. I agreed to be his guinea pig and was actually a bit excited because this would wave my annual visit that happens every January. Test went well and surprisingly I didn't freak out in the MRI "tube". Even though I felt 100%, I was still nervous to get the results. The next day Dr. Hijazi called with the news I was not expecting - "It's time to get you a pulmonary valve." My heart sank....and all I could think was "What? Why? I feel fine. I exercise daily, I am eating right, this must be a mistake." No mistake. The MRI should that I have 60% regurgitation because of not having a valve. That is making my right ventricle dilate or enlarge. The size is still in boundaries but Dr. Hijazi explained it would be best to have the procedure when I am strong and doing well instead of when there was a problem. After a few days of letting the news sit, I agreed with him. God gave you 4 chambers of the heart and 4 valves. Does not make sense to only have 3 valves. Dr. Hijazi exclaimed this was not an urgent procedure but with my nerves I rather get it over with. I have been agonizing about it already for 16 days and I cannot imagine going months worrying. The surgeon - Dr. Ilbawi - returns from vacation tomorrow and then I will meet with him for a consultation and schedule the operation. Thinking this will take place first week of November.

Here are some things I do know at this point:
  • The operation will be open heart surgery done the middle of my chest. I am told this is the only way to reach the pulmonary valve because it sits right behind the breast bone.
  • I will be getting a tissue valve which is good because mechanical requires you to be on blood thinners for life. The tissue valve will either be animal or human. The downside to tissue valves is that they only last 10-15 years so it will need to be replaced. The upside is that Dr. Ilbawi will prep my valve so that the next time the replacement will be done by catheter. They use the catheter method a lot in Europe and Dr. Hijazi is working hard for this technique to be used in the State.
  • In order to work on my heart they have to stop it and put me on a heart-lung machine. Let's not think of that and focus on the 30-60 min part :o)
  • Dr. Hijazi stated my own heart and lungs will take over before they let me out of the OR so no entering Recovery on a ventilator. Hoping just an oxygen mask. I will confirm this with the surgeon as that is one of my biggest fears - waking up all tubed up.
  • Hospital stay is 4-5 days. About 3 of them in Cardiac ICU.
  • Recovery at home is 3-4 weeks and then I can go back to work. I cannot drive for 6 weeks though. Good thing I know some Zurich peeps that live in LZ. I can go back to my workout routine after 8 weeks. So two months and I will be back to normal.
  • Team....Dr. Hijazi (cardiologist) is one of the best in his field. Dr. Ilbawi (cardiac surgeon) is one of the best surgeons in Chicago and elsewhere. I could not be in better care. The hospital is Rush University which is a teaching hospital here in Chicago. Top care is not something I have to worry about.
According to Dr. Ilbawi's assistant, I should be able to meet with him as early as this Tuesday. I am human so I have some worries and fears. BUT! I have had 26 years to prepare for this and I am trying to stay positive. Yes it is open heart surgery, but it is not an experimental procedure. I think I read somewhere that 250,000 valve replacement operations are done a year and the risk is very minimal especially in patients that are overall healthy. So this has come a long way. I think about quadruple bypass or heart transplant...and in the scheme of things this operation is much less involved. Plus I have been through this once but at 3 months of age and only 8 pounds. The technology was not as good and not nearly as much was known about the heart. This time around will be so different plus I am much older and a lot more healthy.

I am grateful to family and friends that have already done so much for me. I cannot thank you enough for the prayers and support. The power of prayer is so amazing and it is best gift anyone to give.

I decided to start this blog because it will be easier to reach everyone. Plus Jason can keep you all posted during operation and while I am at the hospital. Feel free to pass this along.

I will let you all know when my visit with the surgeon is scheduled.

Lots of Love,

Maegan

4 comments:

  1. I love your Blog background. You have a Fiery Spirit and lots of love and support. Love Thy Heart Blog will be very therapeutic for all...

    Love you

    Aunt Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so glad your blogging about this to keep us all updated!! Thanks for taking the time to do this. I will be waiting for the next update!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you look smoking hot !!!!!
    You think you feel good now, just wait and see how great you feel after your surgery. Jason won't be able to keep up with you for sure !!!
    We will keep those prayers coming for you and your precious husband and thanks for keeping us posted.

    I love you !!!
    cyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all the time and detail of your heart and the procedures. The blog will keep everyone together and posted. You surely do look well and healthy. Good reason for before and after pictures. Love to Jason.
    Our prayers are with you.
    Love,
    Barbara, Raymond & Jasmine

    ReplyDelete