BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS �

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Have Little Worry...

After two hours of waiting at the hospital, I finally met with Dr. Ilbawi! He was with a patient in surgery, so I cannot complain that I had to wait so long. I was amazed that he got out of surgery, probably showered, and threw on a suit and tie for our meeting. You could see the indentation from his surgical cap still on his forehead. I cannot believe how busy he is, but if you are the best then I guess you have a lot of people needing your services.

I am truly grateful for the meeting Jason and I had with him because I feel so much better about my operation. We chatted for about 30 minutes and I got all of questions answered and concerns off my chest. Best thing I heard was that there is risk for all medical procedures but there is little to worry about with my surgery. I like hearing that come from the guy doing the work. He confirmed what I already knew that valve replacement is done so many times and is not uncharted territory. Hearing that over and over helps ease the mind. Here are some details about our conversation:

  • How long is the operation? Anywhere from 2-4 hours from open to close. This is a little longer than Dr. Hijazi stated but Dr. Ilbawi said there will be some scar tissue from my first surgery that he will have to remove. Unfortunately, he will not know how much there is until he gets inside. Actually placement of the new valve takes 30 - 60 mins. Hopefully there is not much scarring there and I can be in and out in a jiffy.
  • What type of valve will be used? Either pig or cow. They will use a slightly larger valve than necessary to allow for some scar tissue. Sounds like typical size is an inch in diameter. So small but then again the average heart is only as big as fist.
  • What is the risk for infection? Very slim. He said out of 550 open heart surgeries he does a year he sees about 2 infections. Sounds like Rush does a really good job keeping everything and everyone very sterile and clean. Good Good!
  • Should I get the Flu and/or H1N1 vaccine prior to surgery? He said if I get it then I have to wait 6 weeks before my operation. Honestly, I do not think I can put this off much longer. Already losing sanity due to worry that I may just take my chances. He did say I could get the vaccines two weeks after the operation. I will probably go that route. I know hospitals are breeding ground for germs but most of my hospital stay will be in Cardiac ICU and then I will be coming home. I will not be around general public for 4 weeks. If I can get the vaccines 2 weeks after surgery then really that is only 1 week I have to avoid germs after getting out of the hospital. So many prayers that the flu and swine flu stay away from me! I just cannot put this off any longer. Ugh the anxiety is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e!
  • Will I be on any medication after surgery? Aside from pain meds, I may be put on a diuretic. It is normal for the body to retain fluids after surgery, so if my body cannot control fluid retention, then I will be on meds to help that.
  • How many chest tubes will I have? One or two tubes will be used depending on the drainage. My first go around I had two. He said they will put the tubes in the same place as last time. No new holes to add!
  • How long will the valve last? Depends on the person but 5-15 years. Each body reacts differently and develop different amounts of scar tissue and calcium around the new valve. Praying that the new valve is what my body wanted for 25 years and allows it to stay strong for 15 years! Cannot imagine getting a replacement every 5 years.
  • Will you prep my valve so replacement can be done via catheter next time? Yes!! Woohoo! That means hopefully this will be my last open heart surgery!
  • Will my scar be the same length? Yes because he is going to cut out my old scar and make it much more prettier! Not many people I have seen my scar (obvious reasons) but it is not very pretty. Starts right below my collar bone and ends at the bottom of my ribs. Now it looks like during my first surgery that they started the incision, noticed it wasn't straight and then tried again. But I have lived with it for 25 years so I have gotten used to it. Dr. Ilbawi seemed pretty certain he could make it look much better. So I guess I am getting a little cosmetic surgery at the same time :o)
  • How long will I be in the hospital? Depends on the person. After 48 hours it is safe to go home home in terms of the heart and incision. A longer stay will be needed depending on how I feel. Once again, more prayers going to me staying positive so my body recovers quickly!
  • How long does it take the heart to heal? As soon as the valve is in the place, the heart will be much stronger and some dilation will begin to reduce. Amazing! They will not know until a later how much the right ventricle was reduced. But all studies show there will be improvement.
  • Any physical restrictions? Normal day to day activities can begin once I am fully awake and out from under the drugs. Working out or athletics can resume after 8 weeks due to the incision.
  • How long will it take my incision to full heal? Takes 8 weeks for the breast bone to fully heal. The skin will be healed after a few weeks.

We went over risks and concerns but I feel better knowing his confidence. I was so appreciative of the time he took to talk to Jason and I and fully explain everything. No question was off the table and he gave honest answers. He said it is easy for him to say not to be worried, but that I really should not worry because everything will be just fine. I believe him too. I have read about some of his cases and they sound so complicated and innovative. My procedure sounds like a routine case. He also told me he worked on a 17 year old girl yesterday with my exact procedure and that she is doing great today. Awesome! Glad to know I will be in great hands with two cardiac surgeons, three cardiac nurses, and two-three other technicians all in the operating room with me. In reality two-four hours in the OR is nothing considering they will be making my heart last for another 60-80 years!

There is still no scheduled date as Dr. Hijazi wanted one more discussion with Dr. Ilbawi. I love how much Dr. Hijazi is keeping my best interest as a priority. I mean he is top in the world and keeps me as a priority. That is a bit astonishing. Shoot, my family physician doesn't even know my name without looking at my file, but my cardiologist allows me to call his direct office line. Anyhow, I should have date by the end of the week. Dr. Ilbawi did let us know that his schedule is very full so I hope I can get in around the first week of November. I need to be home in New Mexico for Christmas!

I cannot be thankful enough for the wave of anxiety being lifted. Even if it is just for this moment I have some peace with my mind and fears. Sure as that day gets closer I will be nervous again but I hope it will not be as agonizing as it was the last few weeks. No matter how much I read on Google about this operation, nothing lifted my worries better than talking to the doctor performing the surgery.

Talked to my parents and it looks like the two of them and maybe Michaela will be here for the surgery. My mom is also going to stay a bit during my recovery as I will not be able to drive. Even though they are far away, so glad they are able to be here when needed.

Long update but now you know as much as I do. Thanks for all the wonderful posts, emails, phone calls, and FB messages I have received. Means so much to Jason and I knowing our family and friends are so supportive.

Keep you all posted on the date.

No comments:

Post a Comment