skip to main |
skip to sidebar
The Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery by Adam Pick
The very first day I found I was getting a pulmonary valve, I hit Google like a mad researcher wanting to know anything and everything about my procedure. I think at one time I had 5 tabs open to different sites. I am the type of person who has to know everything about what I am experiencing. For some reason, it helps ease my mind. One of the first results to my search was a book by Adam Pick called "Patient's Guide to Heart Valve Surgery" and I immediately wanted to buy the e-book. Jason hesitated and smartly said "Sure you want to read that? You know everyone experiences things differently." I resisted for 3 weeks. I have learned as much as can without entering medical school on my operation. I am now ready to learn what others experienced. Last night Jason bought the e-book for me and I read the entire thing in two hours this morning. Adam had the Ross Procedure (use your pulmonary valve on your aortic and then give you a new pulmonary valve...a switcher-roo of sorts) in 2005 and has put together a book and website for future patients to use as a resource. It is a 190+ book that takes you from learning about your operation, to finding a doctor, to pre-op, to surgery, and finally to recovery. Not much was talked about the pulmonary valve in his book but I guess this is not uncommon. Also his experiences are similar to what I have read on many blogs and You-Tube postings. I think seeing consistency in other people's experiences are great! Here are some things that I gathered:
- Everyone had different experiences.
- Patience is a virtue.
- Don't freak out at all the tubes and beeps. The tubes are there to get things into your body and out...that's all. The beeps are to there to track the vitals...that's all.
- The pain is going to hurt like a "b". Really there is no other way to say it, so why put it mildly. Learn to manage the pain and not get reliant on painkillers. As my little cousin would say it's time to be a "tough cowgirl."
- Follow Doctor's and Nurses orders during recovery. They really do know what is best. I am pretty good following orders so hopefully that will not be a problem.
- Rely on your support group.
- Push yourself a little more each day. I will have to rely on Jason and my Mom to get me up and running. It sounds like it is too easy to get comfortable doing nothing. When I get home, I think a routine needs to be written down and followed. Structure is probably the best.
- Get a recliner....hmm didn't think of this one. Laying flat and sitting straight up basically doesn't work well until the sternum is healed. Most people have said a recliner helps a ton. May wait until I get home and then send Jason out to find the best recliner out there if I feel I need it.
- Seek out a therapist. This is surgery and may be traumatic for some minds. Sounds like a therapist may be helpful to get the mind out of the slump. I will be contacting mine this week to give her a heads up! No need to deal with all the post operation emotions by myself!
- You will survive!
Sounds like the cycle of emotions are the same for everyone. Basically the 12 steps of dealing with anything out of the ordinary. Luckily I have had my entire life to go through the why me and anger stages. Mostly now it is fear and excitement at the same time. One moment I am scared out of my mind, the next I am excited for the possibilities for having new heart parts. The constant thinking about this is draining though. I have never slept so much in my life! I will be watching tv with Jason and one minute I am talking to him and the next I am out cold for hours. Last night I think I passed out around 830pm and woke up at 115am! I do not remember falling asleep or even moving for those hours. So weird how the body responds to things.
Time to get this weekend started. Thinking of going out to buy some comfy clothes for recovery. I do love me some cozy pj pants!
Have a great weekend!
Maegan
No comments:
Post a Comment