Jason and I adopted Annie two years ago on the same day we moved into our house. She is a terrier mix and is about to celebrate her 3rd birthday. Like most adopted dogs she has some baggage but we love her despite her issues. We have realized though that is about time to get her trained because she is getting really set in her ways, so after the New Year we will no longer be parents in denial and get her into some Doggie training!
Typically Annie is not the cuddly companion most people want in a dog. She is very independent and likes things done her way. So when I got home from surgery and she didn't leave my side, we quickly realized there is another side to Annie - the maternal/caring side! For about 2.5. weeks she stayed by side 90% of the day. Anywhere I went, so did she. At first I was like "What are you doing? Leave me alone!" But then I realized she was trying to provide comfort like she would a sick pup of hers, so I let her be. After a few days it was comforting to have her around. I will never forget the day I got home from the hospital and she started sniffing by my incision and then laid her head real close and didn't move for about an hour. I do not know how she knew I was in pain, but she did. It was so weird! I will also never forget how she would guard me when I was sleeping. If she sensed I was overtired, then she would not let anyone near me - not even Jason. She chased both my mom and Jason out of my bedroom multiple times the first few weeks. Over my 4 weeks at home, her and I developed a close relationship. She has backed off a bit but still acts as my guardian at times.
No matter her faults and issues, Jason and I have enjoyed having her as part of our family. I have grown to respect her a lot more for all the companionship she gave me while I was home. I guess in ways dogs can be a person's greatest friend even though they cannot talk. So cherish your fury friends and realize sometimes they can do extraordinary things!
Here are some pictures of Miss Annie. The first one is her holding my hand. She loves holding hands for some reason and will sit like this for minutes at a time. She is definitely left handed as she prefers to shake with her left. The second is her being cuddly - which rarely happens! She had fallen asleep in the crook of my arm and I was scared to move because if she got startled my incision would become victim to her leaping off of me.
.jpg)
Dogs are so smart and empathetic! Annie is such a special girl. Ruby and I had fun hanging with her at Thanksgiving!
ReplyDelete