Today makes it 6 weeks from my surgery and the billing has pretty much come to a halt. I am looking at multiple statements from the insurance company that probably are about 15 pages front and back of charges. So what does open heart surgery today cost? Well over $150,000 for me! I must preface by saying that is before insurance. I thought it would be interesting to look at all my bills from an itemized approach - Jason "the CPA" is rubbing off on me. Ready?
Surgery: $29,959
I believe this is just for the surgeons and nurses in the operating room. Wow.
Operating Room: $28,515
I feel like I should get a slight discount for putting myself on the operating table.
Medical & Surgical Supplies: $26,614
Laboratory Service: $17,779
Diag. Medical Exam: $17,853
Drugs: $8,016
For this amount of money I feel like the drip of pain pills should have worked much better.
Intensive Care Unit: $7,487
Anesthesia Supplies: $5,971
Anesthesia: $5,880
Surgical Assistant: $5,600
ICU Medical Visit: $2,310
This actually does not seem too bad if meaning all the residents that visited me. I think for the two days in the hospital, I met with 10 residents. There are pros and cons to a teaching hospital...pro - medical staff checking in on you all the time... con - medical staff checking in on you all the time. Personally, I didn't mind it.
X-Ray: $1,733
Mind you I got 1-2 x-rays each day in the hospital. Then 2 before surgery and 1 during a follow up visit.
EKG: $1,123
Medical Visit: $691
Physio/Mech Therapy: $614
Immunizations: $50
This was for some medication that you put in your nose to help fight staff infections. I had three rounds of this stuff.
If I did not count any entry twice, the total is $160,195. After looking at this I came to one conclusion - holy cow that saved me - health care is EXPENSIVE!! My second thought was...thank you Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance. My third and most lingering thought is towards all the people out there that do not have health insurance. Without insurance Jason and I would work our whole lives paying off this operation. It would be a second mortgage to us and probably tap into most, if not all of our savings over the next several years. If we were in the situation of having no insurance, would I have postponed the operation? I hope not. I hope Jason and I would have made the same decision. But I do know that we would have had so much financial stress after the dust settled. I mean, who wouldn't? There is a lot of debate in DC about a national health care program and I am not about to pick sides, but my heart hurts thinking of those in this situation. We are so blessed to live in a country with such advancements. We have some of the top doctors and hospitals in the world, but it cost so much. I realize everything has a price tag, but it doesn't seem fair for some to have to choose between health and financial burden.
With that said, the Holidays are about giving to others and spreading joy and happiness. I know times are hard and everyone is cutting back, but non-profit organizations still need assistance. They are able to help those in need with donations from the public. Ever penny amounts to something, so pick your favorite organization and give what you can. You might just be saving a life. I listed a few links for non-monetary ways to give back, because volunteering or donating items can be just as valuable as sticking a dollar in a bucket. My New Year's resolution is to give back. I have started applying for various opportunities in the Chicago area. I already am a mentor in Big Brothers Big Sisters and my goal is to get my "little" volunteering too! I am excited to meet new people and give back to the greater good!
*Habitat for Humanity www.habitat.org
*Project Linus www.projectlinus.org (Make blankets for children, patients, elderly, etc.)
*LifeSource www.lifesource.org (Chicago area blood center)
*National Marrow Donor Program www.marrow.org (Swipe of your cheek allows you to be on the bone marrow registry)
*Let's Say Thanks www.letssaythanks.com (send cards to troops overseas)
*Big Brothers Big Sisters www.bbbs.org (be a mentor to a child)
*Gift of Sight www.onesight.org (recycles old glasses)
*Humane Societies (walk and play with sheltered animals)
*Local Schools (donate computers, unused school supplies, backpacks, etc.)
*Meals on Wheels www.mowaa.org
Much Love!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment